Tom Dixon brought MULTIPLEX to Milan – in the iconic Cinema and Galleria on via Manzoni – the epicentre of the city’s cultural and luxury shopping district.
Against the backdrop of 50’s Italian glamour, Tom Dixon tell the stories and show his products of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
The enormous 840-seat cinema and historic Galleria play host to a combination of culture, entertainment and commerce – the very essence of Milan Design Week.
MULTIPLEX becomes a platform for fresh ideas, classic design and innovation, with a series of collaborators working on radical interventions on the theme of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
Every day at MULTIPLEX:
– Drinks at the Johnnie Walker VIP Lounge and complimentary Whisky mentoring sessions, hosted by Global Brand Ambassador Tom Jones.
– The Hack Bar: A cafe created by Arabeschi di Latte with Bibendum Food Experience, serving cinema and bar classics with a twist.
– The Corn Kiosk: Hack of the classic popcorn kiosk, turning popcorn into real dishes. Piles of corn are ready to be spiced up with fresh and dried condiments, from bacon to sage, from dried tomatoes to charcoal.
In the Galleria Manzoni, a classic shopping arcade is brought to life with a multitude of boutiques, some created by Tom Dixon to highlight the newest products, some curated or collaborated on with his friends.
– the Haberdashery shop with the new Super-Texture range
– A Rubber Shop curated by tyre giant Pirelli and Italian motorcycle manufacturer Moto Guzzi – showcasing for the first time a Tom Dixon x Moto Guzzi bike and limited-edition tyres designed by Tom.
Also in The Rubber Shop: handmade chewing gum performances will be created by Arabeschi di Latte with London based Mexican designer Fernando Laposse.
– A Perfumery shop operated by department store la Rinascente
– A Chandelier shop showcasing our latest adventures in optics & reflectivity.
– An Antiques Shop curated by Giustini / Stagetti Galleria O. Roma.
In this shop Tom Dixon veterans are coming home and sit in a collector’s environment.
– Leading home sound system Sonos
– In the Office, Tom Dixon Workspace collections including Slab desks, Boom lights and Y chairs, are put to use.
Several Y chairs have been customised by Rag a Muf, a new Finnish textiles manufacturer. The covers and handmade by Syrian refugee women from textile surplus and can be stretch over a variety of chairs and sofa.
And also, last but not least, and Ikea shop where is presented Delaktig, a ‘living-platform’ designed by Tom for the Swedish brand.
Throughout Milan design festival, Ikea will run a Film Festival in the huge MULTIPLEX Cinema.
Exclusive movies about creativity and radical design will be shown several times a day, as well as feature films on ‘Date Nights’. The Film Festival is free and open to all.